Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Heart is in Luskville, Québec

I made it through!
After fighting off a terrible cold mid-week, I have emerged on the weekend feeling quite a bit better.

First of all, I have to say that this weekend my heart is many miles away in Luskville. The L.O.P.T.C is currently hosting the annual Paddle Tennis Weekend. I would certainly give my right arm and leg to be there. For those of you sorry folks who do not know, Paddle Tennis is kind of like tennis, but played with a large paddle, and on a smaller court with a lower net. The scoring is exactly the same. In Luskville this weekend, there are many categories that divide the boys from men, and the women from everyone else. They are, Little Tykes (for the very young), Young Guns (kids), Ladies' Singles, Men's Rec (Recreational), Men's Competitive, and Mixed Doubles. Who will be victorious this year?

Paddle Tennis Weekend, as it is often referred to, happens in Luskville, a tiny little community on the Québec side of the Ottawa river. Years ago (over fourty years, to be precise) my grandfather Lou had a paddle tennis court installed on our front lawn. My uncle Paul created the first ever Paddle Tennis Tournament. Its held in part as a memorial to him, as he passed away when he was young under very sad circumstances. People are known to travel vast distances to make it to Luskville. This year we have guests from as fas as New York City and Texas!


Family and friends meet in Luskville on this great, great weekend to celebrate the sport, each other, good fun, community, and everything in between. My friend and neighbour (and fellow paddle tennis enthusiast) Michelle and I have ranked Paddle Tennis Weekend as our second-favourite holiday, behind only Christmas.

So, my heart bleeds a little bit, knowing I am missing out on the fudge; the late night campfires; the mad-dashes to Martine's, the local Candy Store; the food; the award ceremony; the paddle tennis upsets; and especially the laughs. No matter what, I MUST find a way to return next year. Michelle, my dear doubles partner, if you can hear me, I wish you the best of luck this year in the Doubles!

Here are some paddle tennis photos for the uneducated!



(Above: Working hard selling official L.O.P.T.C apparel
Below: Drawing a decent crowd!)



(Below: Labrosse Forever!!!)






(Above: A very serious Men's Competitive game, complete with refs
The ranking chart,
And yours truly, in action)

Jealous, aren't you? Well, so am I!

Now, back to reality. Today in Borås it's actually Sunny! What a shock! It also did not rain yesterday, so my world is turned upside down.

On Thursday night we went for an ''afterwork,'' as some of my colleagues describe it. We went to this little pub slash restaurant, and it turns out it is owned and run by a Canadian from Montréal! He told myself and my Canadian colleague to go to the bar side anytime we want to bypass the line! Canadian solidarity! Woo hoo. I also ate REALLY delicious french fries, so obviously I will be back.

My quest to be satisfied by potato chips in Sweden is proving lackluster. No BBQ chips ANYWHERE. The only flavours seem to be things such as regular, salt, grill (onion) and sour cream and onion. I finally tracked down some salt and vinegar chips. . . . but they're basically salt with a TINY hint of vinegar. Well, that's just another reason to look forward to Canada in a few short months!

I am currently deciding what to do for our first week of Holidays in November. I'd really like to go to Germany, so we'll see.

As for today. . . I am not going to run because my lungs are still a bit. . . iffy, but I think I will take a trip to the zoo. Now, I do NOT generally support the idea of zoos, and have only ever been to one, but I've heard the animals are properly taken care of here, and I will go check it out for myself. It was that or go to Göteborg, and I think I'm still too ill for that.

Whoever you are who reads this blog, sorry this is so long! Blame my strong coffee :)
And if you are reading this, chances are I miss and love you very much! If you happen to be in Luskville. . . give it and everyone the biggest hug for me, and PLEASE eat some BBQ chips in my honour!

Love,
R.dawg

p.s if we have t-shirts this year, someone make sure my mom buys me one!
And take lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are a few of my favourite things. . .

  • Travel and travel-related journaling
  • the Weakerthans
  • The sound of rain at night when falling asleep
  • Sweet Potato Fries
  • Animals! and not eating them!
  • Crepes with nutella
  • running
  • la musique
  • outdoor concerts and festivals
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Introspection
  • Dancing when no one is around (except my family)
  • American poets