Sunday, September 19, 2010

Göteborg me in Gothenburg!

Göteborg!!
The people demand more blog! Ask and you shall receive Mr. Laforest!
It’s been a week since my last post. Blame the hectiness (no, not a word) of teaching, and everything in between.

Last Sunday we went to watch a game of the Swedish Elite league. It was great hockey, and a nice little taste of back home!

For those of you who have been waiting on pins and needles to find out how the poutine went, it went well! I mean, it’s by no means Elgin Street Diner poutine, or New York Fries for that matter, but it was cheese, gravy, and fries. So, I did it! I served it to my friends along with brushetta and pesto salad. I am no great cook, but as my friend said, it was a carbo-fest! And the pesto was vegan, so it was almost a vegan meal.. . almost!

This week was crazy with Parents’ night and everything else, but thankfully this weekend has completely taken my mind off school. Friday night I went out with a colleague for Thai dinner, and then we met up with another at the local ‘Irish’ watering hole. That was nice, but we were all Yawn-City from the week! I’m starting to feel old (which is weird, because I look 18).

Yesterday I got up, made pancakes, and headed out to catch the bus to Göteborg (Gothenburg). Well, I missed the bus, so I was stuck in rainy Borås for an hour. I walked around because there was a big 10 K race, so lots of people around. A short-ish bus ride later, I arrived in Gothenburg. It was an instant lift of happiness. People! Everywhere! So many of them! I heard English, Swedish, and other languages! It was bustling! There were trams, and busses, and street performers! Admittedly, I felt a pang of remorse, because there is an I.E.S in Gothenburg, and I might have worked there. It’s an actual big city, and it FEELS Europeans. So, I walked around for a few hours, went to the ferries wheel, Opera House, the Lipstick Observatory, and then walked into the mall (the biggest in Scandinavia) to get a proper map. I then realized I was starving, so I went to an All-You-Can-Eat pasta and salad bar. MMMM. On my way out, I ran into a coworker-friend from Borås! We couldn’t believe it.
Anyways, he told me he was meeting a fellow-Canadian from I.E.S Gothenburg, and I decided to tag along to get a proper tour of Gothenburg. We met up at a donut place (a little too cliché?) and walked along the busy, beautiful streets. We then headed to another Canadian’s place, and it sure was nice to get another taste of home. There definitely are differences between Canadians and Swedes. They aren’t obvious, but it was just a different vibe.

WE eventually went to a nice French café, and I had a chocolate croissant. We were ALMOST talked into staying the night and hitting up the Gothenburg nightlife, but we decided we’ll be back in the near future, if not next weekend!!
So we came back to Borås, and both did not want to go back to our little apartments. So we went to a pool-bowling-golfing range pub for a bit. I came home and made myself nachos, and went to bed.
Today I went running in the mountains. Man, was it great! Today it hasn’t yet rained, so I also decided to go back to the zoo. Since I went to early, there was hardly anyone there, so the animals all kind of looked at me in a different way.
So now I bought all the ingredients to make pad thai (minus tofu, which is SO hard to find) and will settle in for a night of Canadian Polaris-nominated albums and sweet thai food!


I realized nothing was particularly funny or interesting about this blog.
Sorry to all my fans! (Frandons)

Also, I don’t know who I want to win Polaris. I LOVE Dan Mangan and Shad’s albums a lot, and the French part of me is rooting for Kwarka, or even Radio Radio. I like Tegan and Sara, but I don’t think they’ll win, and both Caribou and Owen have won. I’m indifferent towards BSS, even though they are stellar. The only album I haven’t really absorbed is the Sadies’ record. . . so I’m sure they will win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are a few of my favourite things. . .

  • Travel and travel-related journaling
  • the Weakerthans
  • The sound of rain at night when falling asleep
  • Sweet Potato Fries
  • Animals! and not eating them!
  • Crepes with nutella
  • running
  • la musique
  • outdoor concerts and festivals
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Introspection
  • Dancing when no one is around (except my family)
  • American poets