Sunday, March 20, 2011

Friday Night. . . Tacos?



Fredagsmys :

It’s about time I write about ‘fredagmys’ one of the weirdest traditions they have in Sweden, in my humble opinion.

Fredag is Friday. So there’s the first part. The second part, I’m told, translates roughly to ‘cosiness at home,’ but perhaps someone was messing with me.
So, ‘fredagsmys’ consists of staying in on a Friday night with family, cozying up in front of the t.v (I think watching Idol), eating treats, and eating the Swedish delicacy known the world over as: tacos. Yes, tacos.

Now, upon hearing this, I clearly laughed out loud, and then had a million questions. 'Why tacos?' 'Aren't tacos not even Swedish?' 'When did this begin?' 'Does everyone do this?' 'But seriously, why tacos?'

Not exactly a million questions, but I still find that no one has been able to answer the ever-so-pertinent question of : 'But seriously, why tacos?'

On Fridays when I ask my students, ‘How many of you are having tacos for dinner?’ at least half the class raises their hand. It’s no joke. It’s an ingrained tradition. I call it Friday Night Tacos, and because I love tacos, I often have my own Friday Night Tacos, however there is no cosiness involved.

There are even songs and commercials dedicated to ‘fredagsmys.’ Click the links to see for yourselves.


Commercial 1:
Commercial 2 :
And click hear to watch a very excited Swedish man explain Fredagsmys to you
In the above video, the excited man has at least 5 of these types of videos. He always goes up to people, and the videos culminate with them dancing with him. Pretty strange. He also always just switches between Swedish and English. I wish more people here were as fun as he is.




My next post will be about ‘lördagsgodis’ which means ‘Saturday Morning Treats/Goodies.’ Yes, you would think that I would find eternal happiness in a country that has TWO days dedicated to eating junk!

Last, but not least, the Super Moon last night was pretty incredible. My life revolves around the moon.
Twelve weeks of school left! (but who’s counting?)

P.S If any Swedes read this, please know that I'm not trying to insult/make fun of your country. I am providing observations for friends and family back home! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I find this blog post very useful. I "discovered" this word yesterday and continue to search the meaning in Google.

    The videos you shared is very roligt~ It makes me think of some funny videos I has watched before (related to Sweden)

    1.Become and learn how to be Swedish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzJE3yIuEx8

    2.IKEA - Banned Commercial - Swedish Midsummer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5BGsK5ZAU

    3.Swedish Meal Time - Superior Smörgåscake
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYBkDxao3wg

    4.Swedish Self-Cleaning Toilet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ul7prwoiM

    ReplyDelete

These are a few of my favourite things. . .

  • Travel and travel-related journaling
  • the Weakerthans
  • The sound of rain at night when falling asleep
  • Sweet Potato Fries
  • Animals! and not eating them!
  • Crepes with nutella
  • running
  • la musique
  • outdoor concerts and festivals
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Introspection
  • Dancing when no one is around (except my family)
  • American poets